In 2014 I was recruited as part of the first ever CodeTribe Academy tribe by our CodeTribe mentor Mr Aubrey Malabie. I join the academy because of his vision to empower more youth like me through code, his passion for code and his belief of what it means to be a professional software services firm – a workplace where you can be inspired and provide others with inspiration, grow and have a sense of belonging and camaraderie (mutual trust and friendship amongst people who spend a lot of time together – like us in the tribe).
Today I am glad I took the chance and joined codetribe because it changed my life.
When people ask me what the value is I can honestly say its the opportunity to learn to code from scratch, for free, and to be able to work on real life projects, not theory.
Through CodeTribe I was given an opportunity to work on a real life project which was successfully launched and I am proud to say one of the Apps we developed at codetribe is live on the Google Play Store.
Having a portfolio of Apps you worked on as evidence that you are an App developer is one big step ahead.
As CodeTribe graduates we can show you what we did and continue to do instead of telling you or just adding it to our CV’s, the work we did at CodeTribe speaks for us.
I got a permanent position with one of the biggest IT companies in South Africa after graduating from CodeTribe, testament to my hard work and the skills I gained at the academy.
Having a mentor that cares while learning is a bonus, the support system at CodeTribe is amazing, there is nothing or no one who can tell you that you can’t do or achieve anything, they all speak life to you, you can do anything that you set your mind to.
I would say it also broaden my knowledge as mLab offer courses, seminars and/or mentorship to keep the different programme members up to date on the latest industry innovations, research and trends. Staying informed about your chosen industry and its trends will help you in the long run and will put you one step ahead of the competition!
My Tips for future CodeTribers and young coders:
- Build a better resume: When you leave CodeTribe, make sure you have lots of Apps as evidence of your work. Its not about a certificate at the end but about what you can show as real work and your achievements in code. Every piece of code matters, not only the final app.
- Enhance your network: We all know that networking is key to the success of movers and shakers of the community! Take this opportunity and build your network. Making the right connections is critical, and joining associations gives you countless opportunities to connect on a local and sometimes even global level. For most people, creating professional relationships is important, and joining a CodeTribe allows you to have a sense of security and trust. From this you are able to support and help one another in reaching your professional goals.
- Be a Leader: Professional associations such as CodeTribe gave me an opportunity to develop my skills as a leader, and this is important not only for your personal growth, but for your growth in your future firm.
- Become a mentor: Giving back can be the greatest reward and benefit. Participating and helping fellow CodeTribers with code,was also a great way to grow my network and confidence. This allowed me to use my peers as sounding boards and often made some great friends with the same interests as me.
- Strength in Numbers: We live in a day and age where establishing a presence in any given career field demands working long hours in the office and bringing work home when the doors close. At the end of the day, you may have ideas for cultivating partnerships, yet not feel up to shouldering all the responsibility to organize them. In a community organization, you have access to an established support system of experienced people who are motivated to get things done. Then the battle is half-won!
- Stay Inspired and Stay Motivated: Learn to love what you do! You may not even know that you love something, but it is important to be proactive about things you discover on the journey. Join CodeTribe and discover something new TODAY!
My experience and hard work while at CodeTribe Academy secured me a permanent position at OneConnectGroup as a Mobile Developer and I feel I am a proud product of CodeTribe.
Everything thing I do with and know about Android I learned through CodeTribe and i am still learning through it even now. Codetribe has changed my life and I know there are a lot of people out there that can also benefit so come out and apply and see your life take a positive turn.
Why you should join
As I mentioned earlier: Doing work speaks for itself. I encourage people who want to go somewhere in this life to join CodeTribe, not for money but to learn, to collaborate and to work hard everyday. Those are the keys to your future.
CodeTribe is a great place to push your career to the next level.
Whether you are starting your career or looking to move to the next level, a start at CodeTribe Acardemy empowers you to customize a career and future that works for you.
I’ll end with one of my favourite quotes that I believe speak true to being a coder.
“Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day.” – Jim Rohn
Wishing all the new tribe members luck and energy to work hard.
CodeTribe Founding Graduate 2015, Mobile Developer.