20 July, 2023
MLAB JOINS THE SOUTH AFRICAN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE ASSOCIATIONZukanye Madakana
The South African Artificial Intelligence Association (SAAIA) is a collection of AI professionals and enthusiasts, who collaborate and share knowledge among each other.
The association intends to stimulate responsible adoption of Artificial Intelligence, for the commercial and societal benefit of South African citizens with a central focus on economic growth, trade, investment, equality and inclusivity.
Mobile Applications Laboratory (mLab) is one of the founding partners of the association, alongside the Department of Communication and Digital Technologies, the AI Institute of South Africa, the University of Johannesburg, the Gauteng Tourism Authority and many more organisations.
In partnership with the Tshwane University of Technology, the AI Media group hosted a launch event of the association yesterday (19 July 2023).
Here is the complete list of SAAIA founding partners and advisory board members:
- The Department of Communication and Digital Technologies
- The AI Institute of South Africa
- Tshwane University of Technology
- University of Johannesburg
- Western Cape Government
- Gauteng Tourism Authority
- MICT SETA
- Anza Capital
- Cirrus AI
- TinyML Foundation
- Augmented Startups
- Data Economy Policy Hub
- Socially Acceptable
- The Technology Innovation Agency
- Webber Wentzel
The SAAIA wants to make all the opportunities presented by Artificial Intelligence available and possible for everyone. Its mission is upheld by these 10 key objectives:
- Serve as the voice of the industry
- Provide analysis & research to inform strategy & decision making
- Help National, Provincial & City Governments with policy making
- Unite buyers and suppliers to grow the economy
- Connect SMMEs to funding to create new companies & jobs
- Attract FDI to South Africa as the “4IR gateway” to Africa
- Help African smart tech companies find markets abroad
- Showcase the best of South African AI Innovation & Research
- Promote debate on inclusion, ethics, regulation & standards
- Share best practice & education resources for all
mLab is ardent about the cause of the association and looks forward to contributing to it meaningfully.