03 August, 2023
WE ARE HIRING A CODETRIBE FACILITATOR IN PIETERMARITZBURG, KWAZULU NATAL.Zukanye Madakana
Position: CodeTribe Facilitator
This position is a six-month fixed term contract based in Imbali, Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal with the possibility of extension based on performance and stakeholder feedback
mLab is a tech-centred business that prepares developers and entrepreneurs for opportunities within the digital economy. We have a strong focus on empowering youth and driving inclusivity within the ICT sector. We achieve this through our four programme areas which include ecosystem activations, skills training, enterprise support and technology development services. mLab works alongside various partners to build a vibrant, robust innovation ecosystem. mLab is registered as a Not-for-Profit Company (NPC) with public benefit organisation (PBO) status and is a Level 1 B-BBEE service provider.
About the position
As a CodeTribe Facilitator you become a key resource within mLab and the Skills Development team in particular. You play a crucial role in helping students develop essential coding skills and nurturing their passion for technology. Your ability to engage, inspire, and guide students will contribute significantly to their ability to build a portfolio of mobile and web solutions that will help them to secure employment or self employment opportunities within the ICT sector after the programme.
Hence, if you are the successful applicant you will be required to recruit trainees in accordance with the provided criteria. Thereafter, you will need to manage the cohort on a day to day basis by guiding students through coding exercises set out in the curriculum. You will also be expected to act as a mentor and role model for students guiding them not only in coding but also in professional development, time management, and teamwork. Finally, you will work closely with other Facilitators in other locations to report on any highlights or challenges as well as suggesting improvements that could be explored based on your personal experience and market trends.
The CodeTribe facilitator will be responsible for:
- Training activities for trainees:
- Provide training and mentorship to trainees to increase their software development skills and abilities to produce quality applications
- Remain up to date with the most recent development tools, techniques and technologies and share these learnings with mLab beneficiaries
- Ensure that the mLab’s software development training curriculum and methodology remain relevant and of the highest standards, in collaboration with the Curriculum Coordinator
- Provide mentorship and guidance to aspiring and early-stage entrepreneurs
- Support, guide and ensure that trainee project teams follow good practice and produce quality outputs, whilst assisting with removal of technical impediments
- Training in software development services which could include, but is not limited to, mobile applications, web applications, backend services, cloud services, APIs and all associated system requirements
- Recruitment, selection and graduation of trainees in collaboration with the Skills Coordinator
- Securing mLab assets in the region
- Provide guidance to mLab Coordinators regarding procurement needs
- Programming language activities:
Qualifications and experience
- National Diploma in Computer Science/ Information Technology or relevant industry certifications (minimum 12 months) (NQF level 5 and higher)
- Completion of mLab’s CodeTribe Academy programme would be an added advantage.
- South African Citizen
- Valid Driver’s Licence would be preferable.
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience in a software development environment with a proven track record of delivery on requirement specifications (portfolio of apps)
- Proven track record in:
- Strong coding skills
- Good debugging skills
- Solid understanding of the mobile development lifecycle
- UI and UX design
- Knowledge of Agile Project Methodologies
- Some prior experience with exposure to an IDE in developing strong typed programming mobile applications for example; VSCode, and Android Studio, Xcode, eclipse would advantageous
- Experience with remote data via REST and JSON
- Have a published application on Google Play or be able to provide an APK and GitHub reference to an app if not published
- An understanding of Mobile development: Material Design Concepts, Lifecycle & Service
- Exposure to cross platform technology with the ability to work with plugins such as Capacitor.
- Understand backend and front-end development, architecture and design
Core Competencies Required
- Problem solving
- Analytical thinking
- Logical thinking
- Numerical skills
- Customer orientation
- Quality orientation
- People skills for coaching and mentoring
- Passionate about learning and staying up to date with the latest SDK’s, API’s, third-party libraries, designs and technologies
- You will be required to complete a competency assessment within 48 hours of receiving an email from mLab directing you to the assignment.
- Please note that only candidates that successfully complete the assessment within the time limit provided may be short listed
REMUNERATION: Market related and commensurate with experience.
Should you meet the above requirements, please send your CV to Antoinette Crafford at email@example.com by no later than 11 August 2023.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.